Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I drop a course after the drop deadline?
  • Requests to drop a course after the 10- or 20-day deadline must be approved by advisors in the BASC via a Late Drop Petition. Such requests may be approved only for the following reasons and must be accompanied by full documentation:

    1) Death in immediate family or large and necessary increase in family care responsibilities;
    2) Large and necessary increase in work hours, at your employer's request;
    3) Medical (with documentation by Student Health and Wellness Center or a licensed physician);
    4) Serious personal problems (with documentation from a professional). 

    If you feel your situation fits into one of the above categories, please first consult with an advisor in the BASC. 

    Late drops will not be approved for poor academic performance, academic difficulties, change of interest in a course, or lack of midterm results. Late drop requests submitted in the seven days preceding the start of final exams are subject to heightened scrutiny. Any such requests submitted during this time that are absent of an extreme or extenuating circumstance will be denied. 
  • What are Incomplete Grades (or “I” grades) and when would I consider opting for an Incomplete Grade?
  • Receiving an incomplete grade is an option for students who are unable to finish a portion of the work required for a final grade to be assigned. To receive an incomplete grade, an agreement must be made with your instructor to define the logistics of how to complete the missing work. The missing work will need to be completed within three quarters after the course has ended, otherwise, the incomplete grade will become an F. For more information on incomplete grade requirements and their life cycle, please refer to the Office of the University Registrar. If you are considering receiving multiple incomplete grades in one quarter, please consult with a BASC advisor before doing so. Receiving multiple incomplete grades in one quarter may be indicative of academic difficulty and or personal issues that are affecting academic performance. Additionally, qualitative standards may not be met, resulting in subject to academic disqualification.
  • Can I take some of my courses as Passed/Not Passed (P/NP)?
  • Maximum P/NP Units is one-third of units completed at UC Davis. Courses for your major must be taken for a letter grade, unless only offered as P/NP grading.
  • Can I repeat a course more than once?
  • You are allowed to repeat a course one time for credit only if you received a D+, D, D-, or F grade. If you wish to repeat a course for a second time you must receive permission to do so before you enroll in the class for the third time. A Multiple Repeat Petition will need to be submitted and approved to enroll in the class. Multiple Repeats require substantial information stating the reasoning behind why the course was not passed the first two times, and what real changes have been made to ensure a better grade in a third attempt. Multiple Repeats are rarely approved. For questions or advice regarding petitioning to repeat a course for a second time, consult with an advisor in the BASC.
  • Can I enroll in another institution while attending UC Davis?
  • In general, the College of Biological Sciences discourages students from simultaneous enrollment or enrolling in classes through another institution while attending UC Davis, but there are situations in which simultaneous enrollment is appropriate:

    1) You plan to take summer session courses at an institution that is on the semester system and the summer courses begin before Spring Quarter is completed at UC Davis.
    2) You commute to UC Davis and it is a hardship for you to attend a course that meets five days a week.
    3) You have a schedule conflict with a required class and you are close to graduation.
    4) You have difficulty enrolling in an impacted class. 

    To petition to enroll in a course at another institution while attending UC Davis, please speak with the front desk advisor at the BASC: Please Note: The petition must be filed and approved before you enroll in the course at another university or college.

    Attending a community college during summer sessions does not require this approval. 

    UC Davis accepts up to 105 quarter units of community college coursework, but the university’s residence requirement states that you must take no more than 10 of your last 45 quarter units at another institution.
  • How do I make sure I have satisfied all requirements for completing my degree?
  • As a student it is your responsibility to satisfy degree requirements. You can learn about your degree requirements in the UC Davis General Catalog. A BASC advisor can answer questions about these requirements and offer guidance during an advising meeting. It is suggested that you schedule an appointment with a BASC adviser once a year to go over your degree progress and graduation plan in order to help you stay on track.
  • Can I use a community college course to satisfy a GE requirement?
  • Yes, but it depends on the course. Use to find community college courses that will articulate (i.e. match exactly) to a UC Davis course. Please note that summer is the best time to take community college courses. 
  • Where can I find my course registration Pass I and Pass II appointment times?
  • Course registration Pass I and Pass II appointment times can be found on MyUCDavis and on Schedule Builder. Your course registration times are open for four hours. Please plan ahead and select multiple course schedule options in case your first-choice classes are no longer open. During Pass II it is a good idea to wait list classes you are interested in taking; instructors use waitlists to determine how many more seats (or sections) to open.
  • I have missed my Pass Time, when is the next time I can register?
  • Please refer to the Registration Calendar, where you will be able to find the next available open registration time, open hours, and schedule adjustment periods.
  • When can I waitlist for a course? And when will I find out if I got into the course?
  • You can begin adding yourself to a course waitlist during your Pass II appointment time. Instructors will address the waitlist during the first day of instruction. Please continue checking your waitlist position on Schedule Builder. If you are waitlisted for a class that has a laboratory or discussion section, you will need to attend as many as fit in your schedule during the first week of classes. It is recommended that you waitlist for no more than two (2) courses in your desired schedule. Being on the waitlist is not a guarantee that you will be added to the course. Please plan ahead and select alternative courses that will fit into your schedule. Also, be aware of the drop and add deadlines to ensure that you will be prepared for the classes that you register and waitlist for – the quarter system is fast! Check schedule builder everyday. You will see your registration update when you move from waitlist to registered. 
  • Can I change to part-time status?
  • Students may opt to change to part-time status if they meet one of the criteria. The deadline to file is the tenth day of instruction for each term. 
    Please note that International students may only go part-time (10 units or less) in their final quarter before graduation with the appropriate approvals. Exceptions to full-time status at any other time are only made under exceptional circumstances. Please consult with your academic counselor or an advisor from Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS)
  • What are prerequisites and do I have to take them?
  • It is your responsibility to meet the prerequisites of courses. Prerequisites are often in the form of lower division courses that are required before you continue on to a more advanced level course. Other prerequisites may include placement exams.  It is very important to thoroughly read the description for any course that you plan to take and to verify that you have met the prerequisites for that course.

    Prerequisites are set for a reason; they are set to ensure that you have the required knowledge to succeed in the course. Courses offered through the College of Biological Sciences highly enforce prerequisites. 

    For example:     BIS 2C has a prerequisite of a C- or better in course 2B.

    If you an unsure or have questions please see your BASC advisor.